Thursday, August 14, 2008

Humidity and Thick Hair - How To Deal With It

Question: The humidity and my thick hair makes it difficult to dry my hair completely after I wash it. Can I blow dry it and then sleep on it and then flat iron the next morning?

Also, I'd appreciate suggestions on what temperature to use on coarse thick hair. I have the FHI professional flat iron and am using a heat protective spray but am still having to go over the hair more than 2x to get it the way I want. My hairdresser has the same one and didn't need to do this so I'm thinking either this is a "not completely dry hair" issue or I don't have it at a high enough temperature. I do not want to fry my hair either!

Mahalo,

The Deb

Answer: Hi The Deb. Yes, you can blow dry your hair, sleep on it, and then flat iron it the next morning. I don't suggest cranking up the heat to get your hair straighter. If you are not getting the results you want, try changing the hair products you are using. You might want to try some different hair products to see if that helps you get the results you want. If you are using a shampoo that contains sulfates (sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, ammonium lauryl sulfate, or ammonium laureth sulfate) or a heat protectant that contains alcohol, these might be drying out your hair so much that it makes it impossible for smooth results.

No comments: